FAQ – Equine Summer Eczema/Horse Summer Itch
Is This Your Horse?
Tail Hair Loss, No mane due to itching, Intense itching along the mid-line, Scab patches on skin.
Dr. Frank Reilly is the “Ask the Vet” expert on Equine Summer Eczema/Horse Summer Itch for the AAEP. Click here to go to the AAEP site with Dr. Reilly.
What causes Summer Eczema Horse Summer Itch?
The cause is a gnat called Culicoides with nicknames of “biting midge” and “no-see-ums”. They cause a painful bite, and after they bite, suck blood from the area. They are called “no-see-ums” because they are only the size of a period at the end of a sentence. You feel a bite but you can’t tell what it is from. Their saliva has foreign proteins containing antigens which set off a reaction in the horse’s skin in six- to twenty-four hours after a bite. The reaction causes the redness and itchy condition.
Insect hypersensitivity reactions are documented as the most common allergic reaction of horses and Equine Summer Eczema/Horse Summer Itch (SE) falls into this category. Horse Summer Itch is recognized as the #1 cause of mane and tail rubbing in research and is the #1 hypersensitivity reaction in the horse.
What are the symptoms of Equine Summer Eczema/Horse Summer Itch?
The allergic reaction causes hair loss, inflamed skin on the belly, mane, and tail. The itchy condition will limit or eliminate riding.
Will my other horses get Equine Summer Eczema Horse Summer Itch?
Only a few horses in a herd are usually affected because it is an allergic condition, and the conditions are not contagious. A horse with affected skin will not transmit it to another horse or person. There is a genetic component to Horse Summer Itch – offspring of affected horses are more prone to have Horse Summer Itch.
How will my horse be helped for Equine Summer Eczema Horse Summer Itch?
The Goal is to heal damaged skin and stop re-occurring problems – this regime is done internally and externally. The horse is given 20cc twice a day of a natural herbal tonic to help heal skin. “No steroids, no antihistamines.” FEI/USEF Ok. Thousands of doses in field trials show tremendous healing. The horse is also covered externally with the top-rated professional strength RK Topical Spray™ fly spray to stop further damage.
What is in Summer Eczema Oral Supplement?
The amount of each herb, the part of the plant used to make the herb, and the blending process make Summer Eczema Oral Supplement unique. Hundreds of horses have shown great results in field studies.
Summer Eczema/Horse Summer Itch Oral Supplement is to help maintain horse health and is part of a comprehensive program. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent disease. Summer Eczema Oral Supplement should be used together with RK Topical Horse Fly Spray to stop Summer Eczema.
Summer Eczema Horse Summer Itch: How to Stop an Active Case
Goal: To heal the damaged skin and stop further episodes.
4 things you need to order:
1. Horse Summer Itch/Summer Eczema (SE) Oral Supplement: Start SE Oral Supplement twice a day in feed. This supplement has natural herbs to soothe the reaction of the Culicoides bite. Multiple horses have receive thousands of doses from all over the United States with great results. SE Oral Supplement is USEF and FEI ok to show on. A reusable plastic cup accurately and easily measures the right amount (20cc) of a very small volume of liquid to pour onto the feed. The herbs are mixed with Molasses or a Sugar-Free Apple flavoring which are great tasting to your horse. (Medication Dosage: 20cc in AM, 20cc in PM. One bottle last 24 days.)
No Laminitis Issues
Click here to see How Summer Eczema Oral Supplement compares to other products.
2. Map Shampoo area to remove crusts and bacterial debris. Map Shampoo is all natural and gently aids in healing. Use it three days in a row and then two times a week until skin is healed. You will only need one bottle to treat a horse. After using just one bottle, you will go back to your normal shampoo and still bathe three days a week to remove urine attraction. *Required in Active Cases.
3. Quadrabiotic Enzyme Ointment. After removing the crusts with Map Shampoo, dry the area and massage a small amount of this special ointment to sooth the red area, combating secondary bacterial infections, and stopping the itch. You will only need one jar to treat a horse.*Required in Active Cases.
4. RK Topical Horse Fly Spray™ Apply RK Topical Horse Fly Spray twice a day. Once at dusk when Culicoides come out and once in the morning to stop other insects from attacking damaged skin. Go to the RK Topical Horse Fly Spray section to learn more about this unique and powerful spray to repel and kill Culicoides, Ticks, Mosquitoes, and Flies. ***This Horse Fly Spray is crucial to healing the skin. You need to stop the cause (Culicoides Gnat) to allow the skin to heal. See How RK Topical Spray Beats Every Fly Spray in the Tack Shop. 3-6 times stronger. Click here for side-by-side comparison.
See 2015 Article by Dr. Reilly in TrailBlazer Magazine.
Trailblazer 2016 BQ-Summer Skin.
Summer Eczema Horse Summer Itch: Management to AVOID AN OUTBREAK
2 things you need to order:
1. Horse Summer Itch/Summer Eczema Oral Supplement: Only need to give 20cc once a day in feed. In states with constant warm weather (California, Florida…) need to use year round. In states with a cold winter, Start April 1st and go until mid-November. (Medication dose is 20cc once a day and a bottle will last 48 days.)
2. RK Topical Horse Fly Spray: Apply twice a day. Need 2 bottles a month per horse to apply 2 times a day for 30 days.
Summer Eczema Horse Summer Itch: What doesn’t work
Allergy Shots – A study out of Florida shows NO SUCCESS
Special Expensive Blankets – You will NOT NEED THEM.
Click here to see how Summer Eczema Oral Supplement compares to other products.
Click here for in-depth article on Equine Summer Eczema/Horse Summer Itch
Proper diet and exercise is essential for horse health. This product is a supplement to help maintain horse health. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent disease.
Equine Summer Eczema/Horse Summer Itch Oral Supplement is Available Only on this Website
Not sold in any tack shop
Not sold in any catalog